Sunday, August 01, 2010


DEJA VU???
So are you now reading this blog experiencing Deja Vu? Think you've sen these very pictures on here before?

Well your not far from the truth! Belieive it or not, this is or second Mountain Beaver..I'ts been a couple of years since the last Operation MB took place.
Since then I had been lulled into complacency, what are the chances of ever seeing another Mountain Beaver again, much less have another one move right in ..again.
At first I noticed chewed corn stalks, then a rather large hole..a stripped branch on  the apple tree. Then the tell tale pile of freshly chewed branches and corn stalks left outside of the old MB's den entrance.

I don't know where MB the 2nd could have come from. Maybe he had heard tell of a Mountain Beaver Shangri La....where lots of juicy fresh plants and vegtables grew in abundance and there was manna in the form of bread to be found.
Either way this newcomer was a youngin', at least compared to his predecessor.
He had no knowledge of people traps thus making him very easy to catch. In my previous battles with these prehistoric rodents I learned their secret weakness and how to use it to my advantage.
Mountain Beavers get most of their moisture from the leaves and plants they eat, I guess they aren't big on drinking water like other animals. So what then, could be more temping then a big watery cucumber?
We caught MB 2 within a day of his discovery and BF relocated him to a very nice park with lots of ferns.
This leads me to wonder what on earth is in the earth in my backyard. How many tunnels are down there? Is there another universe or something? Have I got prime MB real estate here?
Mb's are cool, just because of what there are, a really really old rodent..but very very distructive. So again he must be evicted.

With the goofy weather my garden is doing much of anything really. I did have a very nice raspberry harvest and lots of frozen berries for future cobblers. Everything else is trying the best it can. The corn looks good an there might be a tomato out there.
I have been busy working two part time jobs. Gotta have the benefits! I can usually get close to a 40 hour or more week between the two.
BF has been busy hosting on the Arthur Foss.









1 comment:

Sheila E said...

Look at those nails!
He's cute...you have to admit...at least on the computer screen.
I am glad to hear that he is living in a fern park. You are both good hosts!!
We have been battling rabbits and voles...arg. Haven't had any luck catching either of the beasties..but we got some repellent made from castor oil and they seem to dislike that loads.
We may get a crop of beans because of it.